OO.o: I18N: Operating system doesn't support locale ""

Greetings-

My AFS client went down, and OpenOffice's last opened document was
pointing to an afs-mounted space. That made OO hang up on selecting
File-Open, so I couldn't do any work. I deleted the link to the directory
it was pointing to, replacing it with a regular directory instead of the
link -- now OO doesn't start up at all, and puts the following in
.xsession-errors:

I18N: Operating system doesn't support locale ""

Any advice?

Thanks.

clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu