Problem installing on a computer with Adaptec controller and Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard

I'm trying to install Woody on a system that is already running RedHat, but when I boot the installation cd the kernel hangs, no matter which kernel flavour I use.

The computer has this configuration:
- motherboard: Asus A7N8X Deluxe (nForce chipset)
- Adaptec 2400 RAID-5 IDE controller for 3 IDE HD
- CDROM on /dev/hda
- Floppy
- VGA

The last line I see on the screen before hanging is:

PCI_IDE: unknown IDE controller on PCI bus 00 device 48, VID=10de, DID=0065
PCI_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
   ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
   ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA

If I boot the already installed distribution, running kernel 2.4.18-14, it goes after this point and detects the CD-ROM and the floppy.

Which could be the problem?
Can I use the already installed, and working, kernel to start the installation, considering that the first thing I'll do will be repartition and format the drives? How?