Re: How to maintain backports? (mysql4/php4.2.3 for the curious)

On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 17:16, Scott Henson wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 16:46, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> > While I did get software that appears functional I am not confident that I
> > won't find bugs down the road since I don't understand the impact of building
> > with different libraries.  Here are some of the build dependencies that I had
> > to change:
> >
> > - build depend on libc-client2001-dev instead of libc-client2003debian-dev
> > - build depend on libtool instead of libtool (>= 1.4.2-7)
> > - build depend on libgd2-dev instead of libgd-xpm-dev
> > - build depend on libcurl-dev instead of libcurl2-dev
> >
> > I understand that I could have tried to backport the newer build dependencies
> > as well but I was afraid of things growing into a neverending spiral.
> >
> I dont maintain any backports, but I have done this to software for
> personal use.  I think you should be fine.  As long as the .configure
> script run succesfully(its run when you do dpkg-buildpackage) then the
> software itself should be happy with what it finds on the system.  I
> have never run into problems when things complete properly.

I am the maintainer of the gnome2.2 backport.  To reiterate Scott's
comments-- if configure didn't choke, you should be ok.  However, to
ease your mind, check the README or INSTALL files for
required/recommended libraries, and backport those too.  Don't worry,
there is a point at which you can stop backporting, though in my case,
it was 155 source packages at last count!

Jamie

--
Email:        jstrand1@rochester.rr.com
GPG/PGP ID:   26384A3A