Re: cdrecord

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 06:42:41AM -0700, adit y wrote:
> Hi,
> I have debian 3.0r1 woody on a ibm laptop a31p. it has
> matshita udja720 cdrw/dvd rom (sees ATAPI). cdrecord
> -scanbus says no scsi driver cannot open /dev/pg*.
>
> I have gone through cd-writing howto and did
> everything present in that
> i did
>  append = "hdc=ide-scsi"
> and did everything given in the howto.updated modules
> to load ide-scsi. went through every thread about this
> but of no use.

most of the HOWTO's explain how to do things from scratch, which is usually
not required in Debian where most things are done for you. Often the Debian
way is better than the out-of-date-howto way. I generally do a google search
for "Debian xxxx" before blindly following any HOWTO. However, the HOWTO's
are good if you want to understand exactly how it all works.

> my /proc/scsi directory is empty
>
> modprobe ide-scsi says can't locate ide-scsi. i think
> that's how it should be. please let me know what i
> should do. somehow make command on my machine does not
> work . is there any way without changing the kernel
> configuration. i installed from 1st cd (official cd).

It looks like the kernel you are running either has ide-scsi compiled in, or
doesn't have ide-scsi compiled at all.

I would suggest for woody;

  apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-<xxx> discover

for testing or unstable;

  apt-get install kernel-image-2.4-<xxx> discover

Where <xxx> whatever is appropriate for your processor.

Make sure you fix your lilo to include;

  initrd=/initrd.img

After a successful reboot manually remove the remnants of the kernel
installed by the boot floppies (rm /boot/*bf*; rm -Rf /lib/modules/*bf*).
You will now have a kernel image installed and managed by dpkg.

discover is a rather neat hardware auto-configure utility that progeny
developed. It works well at handling scsi-ide stuff.

Donovan Baarda                http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/