Printing woes

I have given up on getting debian unstable, KDE 3.1 and cups to work together.
It seems to me that there is some kind of bug. If I go to
kmenu-settings-print manager and selectcups as the printing system then as
soon as I click on one of the configured printers, print manager crashes.
KWrite and KWord also crash if I bring up the print menu and cups is
selected. Can anyone running unstable and KDE 3.1 confirm that their system
either works or doesn't work with cups ?
My unstable configuration is from the debian site so there are no special
versions of programs.

I have set up printing with lpr and that works fine for the parallel port but
for some reason I can not get a usb printer working. I have set up the
/etc/printcap file with the use of printtool, the spool directory is set up
and the printer is going to /dev/usb/lp0. On a test print I see the document
showing up in the spool directory and it vanishes shortly thereafter. There
seems to be no log entry or error entry to indicate what happened to the test
document. When I try to route a file directly to the port it vanishes as well
(cat filename > /dev/usb/lp0). Based on that I would think that something is
wrong with the basic printer setup but when looking at kmenu-system-info
center I can see the printer listed under usb devices.
Any hints as to how I can find out what happens to the documents that I send
to the printer or hints on why the system sees the printer but I can't print
to the port (as root) directly would be appreciated.

Jens