Re: is there a i586 distro?

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 11:00:49AM -0600, Ray wrote:
> or others that are compiled/optimized for the later i386 PCs?
>
> if so, where?
>
> if not, how should i go about mass source compiling debs for my computers?
> (i have a couple P1 laptops, P2s and a P4)
>
> and is it worth it?

Honestly, I found noticeable improvements after:

1 - Compiling a new kernel with the kernel-patch-ck package patches.
2 - Enabling proper hardware accelration for X.
3 - Using hdparm to enable 32-bit I/O.

And I know someone who swears by recompiling mplayer. I haven't tried
that yet, myself. Otherwise, how many programs can really make use
of the type of features present in Pentium-class processors? I imagine
mostly just media players, games, and possibly gimp. Of course, I'm
not an optimization expert!

Robbie