gdm and display size

I'm new to xdm/gdm, and very excited about the possibilities of using my
higher end machine as an application server to my older machines. I've
got gdm set up to act as an xdmcp server, and I can successfully log on
from remote machines and access my desktop.

This is where it gets a little dicey. One machine I wish to log on from
is an old P-120 laptop with a 640x480 display; my other displays are all
1024x768.

Is it possible to detect the resolution of the display on which the
xdmcp server is drawing? If so, how? I'd like to write a script that
would load different defaults based on display size.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net