Re: order of usb/firewire SCSI devices

David Fokkema wrote:

<snip>
Or is there some other way I can refer to the devices in a way
independently of the order they are plugged in?

BTW. I am not running devfs.

Maybe you should. That might solve your problem easily. I don't know the
status of devfs in Debian right now, but it is the one thing I want to
change on my system as soon as I have the time. I ran a small distribution
using devfs and it's a beauty, in my opinion, anyway, ;-)

David

Hi,
my experience is that the scsi mods should be loaded in a spes order, I got this one in my modules.conf.

<snip>
### This is what I have done with cd-burning
options ide-cd ignore=hdc # tell the ide-cd module to ignore hdc, my burner options ide-cd ignore=hdb # tell the ide-cd module to ignore hdb, my cd/dvd rom
alias scd0 sr_mod            # load sr_mod upon access of scd0
alias scd1 sr_mod
#pre-install ide-scsi modprobe imm    # uncomment for some ZIP drives only
pre-install sg     modprobe ide-scsi    # load ide-scsi before sg
pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi    # load ide-scsi before sr_mod
pre-install ide-scsi modprobe ide-cd    # load ide-cd   before ide-scsi
<snip>

Im useing scsi emulation for both burner and cd/dvd, that way I can copy disks "on the fly".

/ernst