ISDN problems

Hi

I have successfully configured ISDN on SUSE and Mandrake but can't seem to
get to work on Debian.The problem seems to be the username which has an
embedded @ sign in it e.g. raz@dialup.net. When I start the ISDN
service and tail syslog I get

<
Apr  4 16:13:51 aqua ipppd: info: no PAP secret entry for this user!
Apr  4 16:13:51 aqua ipppd: info: no CHAP secret entry for this user!

even though the pap and chap-secrets file have the same entry

if I change the "name" in ipppd.ippp0 to raz along with the pap and
chap-secrets entry I get no errors. I have tried backslashing out the @
sign

raz \ @dialup.net

which gives me -
In file ipppd.ippp0: unrecognized command @dialup.net - when I restart
usdnutils

I have also tried putting the string in comments still no luck

any help would be greatly appreciated

Raz