Re: GDM 'authentication failed'

Rick Pasotto wrote:

Today I restarted X after several months and as soon as I enter a user
name I get an 'authentication failed' error box so I can't log into X.
This is before it asks for a password. I can login to a regular console
fine. I get the same message when I select the 'configure' option from
the menu.

I am running testing and have installed all the curently available
packages in sarge. HELP!

When no one's watching over your shoulder, type your password into the username field to double-check that they keys are producing the correct characters. I suspect that maybe gdm is looking at a slightly different keyboard mapping than the console is.

Kent