Re: 2 Hardware Questions (LCD/Wireless Router)

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 17:53:01 -0500
Matt Price <matt.price@utoronto.ca> wrote:

> I need to buy a wireless router and a monitor, and have questions
> about both.
>
> First the router.  Looking around, I gather all these routers run
> their own networking and encryption software.  Having recently
> converted to Debian GNU/Linux, I'm bummed at having to give up control
> of these features to some hardware I have no real access to, and I
> feel just a little suspicious of these closed-platform boxes.  On the
> other hand, they do seem to be pretty practical devices.  So my
> question:  can anyone share opinions about particular models, or
> general criteria to apply in deciding between competing models?

I'm not sure what you mean about giving up control of networking and
encryption.

I have the Netgear FM114P, and I like it. (I suspect it runs Linux, which
makes me like it a bit more.) It has a stateful firewall, NAT, dhcp server,
print server and upgradeable firmware.

I can choose between no WEP, 64-bit WEP or 128-bit WEP. I can choose to
allow any wireless unit to connect, or to specify MACs allowed to connect. I
can choose to bridge the wireless and wired networks or keep them separate.

That's just a small selection of the choices I have. I don't feel I'm giving
up control by running this box. It Just Works.

Kevin