Re: issue with make-kpkg kernel_image

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 12:13:53PM -0900, Andy wrote:

> I am using this for reference and can successfully do a custom kernel:
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-kernel.en.html
>
> I must be doing something wrong because when I try to do it again with
> using "Custom.2" I get this error:

> server:/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18# make-kpkg -rev Custom.2 kernel_image
> I note that you are using the --revision flag with the value Custom.2.
> However, the ./debian/changelog file exists, and has a different value
> Custom.1.  I am confused by this discrepancy, and am halting.
>
> So I have to call it Custom.1 every time.
> Why can't I use different revision numbers?

You did run "make-kpkg clean" right before you attempted the above,
right?

BTW, what's up with the CAPS in "Custom.2"??

> Furthermore....when I install the package I get this error:

> server:/usr/src# dpkg --install kernel-image-2.4.18_Custom.1_i386.deb
> (Reading database ... 15783 files and directories currently installed.)
> Preparing to replace kernel-image-2.4.18 Custom.1 (using
> kernel-image-2.4.18_Custom.1_i386.deb) ...
> You are attempting to install a kernel image (version 2.4.18)
> However, the directory /lib/modules/2.4.18 still exists.  If this
> directory belongs to a previous kernel-image-2.4.18 package, and if
> you have deselected some modules, or installed standalone modules
> packages, this could be bad. However, if this directory exists because
> you are also installing some stand alone modules right now, and they
> got unpacked before I did, then this is pretty benign.  Unfortunately,
> I can't tell the difference.
>
> If /lib/modules/2.4.18 belongs to a old install of
> kenel-image-2.4.18, this is your last chance to abort the
> installation of this kernel image (nothing has been changed yet).
>
> If this directory is because of stand alone modules being installed
> right now, or if it does belong to an older kernel-image-2.4.18
> package but you know what you are doing, and if you feel that this
> image should be installed despite this anomaly, Please answer n to the
> question.
>
> Otherwise, I suggest you move /lib/modules/2.4.18 out of the way,
> perhaps to /lib/modules/2.4.18.old or something, and then try
> re-installing this image.
> Do you want to stop now? [Y/n]
>
> So I stop and then move /lib/modules/2.4.18 to /lib/modules/2.4.18.old
> and all is well and I can continue.
>
> But I don't think I am doing this the right way.  Am I not?

The error message explains _exactly_ what the (potential) problem is.
If you didn't change what was modular between last run and this run,
you don't have to move the modules dir.  If you did make changes, you
must move the dir, and booting with the old kernel may result in
problems.

  Multiculturalism is one society's tolerance of other
  societies' intolerance.
          -- Mark Steyn