Re: OT: Fees for the mailing list

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 10:07:47AM -0500, Hall Stevenson wrote:
> * Paul Johnson (baloo@ursine.dyndns.org) [030405 03:06]:
> > On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 11:57:36PM -0500, Kevin McKinley wrote:
> > >
> > > Somehow I doubt SPI is seeing very many contributions.
> >
> > Well, if someone at SPI took the time to track back the emails and
> > bill the ISPs, they might luck out and get the cost passed on to the
> > offending sender.
>
> It's an empty threat... Since non-subscribed people can send messages to
> the list, what's making them check up on any so-called "rules".

I agree that it's (mostly) an empty threat (due to the lack of someone
to pay a lawyer to pursue it), but didn't somebody very
recently get busted in some United State or another...

Judge decided ignorance is no excuse: by using somebody's service
(be it ISP, mailing listserver...) you *have agreed* to their terms of
service.  If you signed that agreement without reading it first, tough
apples. Pay up.

I think I actually read that on this list, though I can't be bothered
to go fishing through the archives right now...

Hmm, now here's a thought:  What about a collections agency?  Don't they
just pay the party who's owed the money some percentage up-front, and
then take their chances on actually collecting? I wonder whether it
would be possible to sell a case like this to a collections agency...