Re: [OT] email standard maximum line length

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 02:31:09PM -0800, Paul E Condon wrote:

> I am curious about where in the chain of delivery the truncation might
> be happening. Is there a standard for email that specifies a line
> buffer size?
>
> My software is fetchmail and mutt. I have already established that the
> truncation is not happening in mutt, because I see it in
> /var/mail/pecondon .  I haven't yet figured out how I might check on
> fetchmail. I don't have access to the internals of my ISP.

On this, I'm afraid I don't have any idea, but...

> I'm working on getting him to press carriage return from time to time
> as he types, but he is somewhat set in his ways.

For his "regular mail program" (POP or IMAP client of some flavour, I
would assume) to *never* break his line seems incredibly, er, broken.
(no pun intended)
I wonder if there's any chance of convincing him to poke through the
configuration menus and look for the checkbox that'll make it actually
break his lines instead of just soft-wrapping them on his display.
It *has* to be in there somewhere, right?  Right?

I realize this is a bit more complicated than hitting return, but hey:
he'd only have to do it once.

Cheers