kernel won't boot (was Re: compiling a kernel)

Hello everybody,

In case you allready received this question (or even
answered ??) I apologise, but I have seen no
reactions, or my own question, so I guess something
has gone wrong

The thing is, I can't figure out what's option I
should choose which is currently off. As I thought I
might have changed a lot at the same time, I started
again on the original config and compiled the kernel.
Unfortunately, I have the same problem again:

The files are like this. On
 file /boot/*
I got

/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.20:                    Linux kernel
x86 boot executable RO-rootFS, Normal VGA
/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18.02042003:           Linux kernel
x86 boot executable RO-rootFS, root_dev=0x341, Normal
VGA
/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18.02042003c:          Linux kernel
x86 boot executable RO-rootFS, root_dev=0x341, Normal
VGA

Note that the original 2.2.20 doesn't have the
root_dev=0x341 (which is the number which is mentioned
in the error)

Can anybody help ?

Thanks for any help,

Joris