Re: remote printer configuration - cups

>> I have what is supposed to be a network printer with support for
>> JetDirect, Cups and LPD.  Unfortunately, it isn't exactly a cups
>> server.  So I guess in order to get my network printer working, I need
>> yet another server....
>>
>> I guess the whole point was to set up a printer that didn't require
>> another server.  After all, it's got it's own hard drive and a 233MHz
>> CPU.
>
> You do have a server, and it's running. You just haven't told it about
> any printers. You do that either with the web browser interface I
> suggested or on the command line with "lpadmin".
>
> Only one machine on the printer's network needs to run a CUPS server.
> The other machines can send their jobs to the server to be printed.
>
> Your printer has a hard drive?

I guess I'm missing something then....

Under Windblows, all they do is point and print the stupid jobs.
Under Linux, I can't seem to be able to do the same.

Pointing to a 'raw' print mode doesn't seem to cut it.
Pointing to a port in (515, 610, 9100) also doesn't seem to cut it.

I think that the best I've achieved so far is with PDQ under 'raw' mode
using the bsd-lpp interface.  With this I think I get stair-casing.  But I
didn't expect this under a Postscript Printer using Postscript Drivers.
The dump job takes .ps files and filters them again through postscript
(a2ps).

I'm vague as heck on all of this because my printer is actually located
some 1,500 miles away and I'm trying to do all of this through ssh.  when
I print something, I wait for an email from the (patient) end user to tell
me if he found anything and what it looked like.

What kills me is right now I take a PostScript file with a first line like
"%! Postscript 2" (or whatever it's supposed to look like) and do 'pdq
foo.ps' and the output from that comes in with that exact line three lines
down and the first line being "%!".
Non-postscript files don't end up like this.  But I'm unclear if they
print at all.  I do not believe that they do.

so, I was thinking of trying CUPS but that initially didn't get me any
further along.  It was also a little unnerving that I have to run a cups
server to talk to a network printer that (in theory) supports cups to
begin with.

The problem here is that this really intelligent printer doesn't seem
capable of acting as it's own server under both Windows and Linux.  Oh
well, that's another problem.  I'm still trying to print foo.ps!

To answer your question, I really don't know for sure if it has a hard
drive, but it does seem to support telnet, ftp, http, cups, lpd, and
jetdirect.  Which is more than some computers can do.