Re: Shell based text editor for writing prose

> Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> > vim, emacs, pico, nano, ... these are all text editors. How you format
> > your text is up to you. (This was written in vim.)
> >

> Yep, OK.
>
> what I'm after is a recommendation from others who might have used
> something like this to write 5,000 word plus english language documents.

Here's my personal take:

Vi is king for programming (imho), and I use it for the majority of my
text processing. However, I find that for writing long documents , it
tends to lose out to emac. Not having to switch frequently between modes
is a great plus, and emacs makes it easier to navigate within a large
block of text without line breaks.

Jesse S. Bangs jaspax@u.washington.edu
http://students.washington.edu/jaspax/
http://students.washington.edu/jaspax/blog

Jesus asked them, "Who do you say that I am?"

And they answered, "You are the eschatological manifestation of the ground
of our being, the kerygma in which we find the ultimate meaning of our
interpersonal relationship."

And Jesus said, "What?"