compiling a kernel

Hello everybody,

As I want scsi emulation, and I'm missing the sr_mod
module, I think I'll have to compile a new kernel.

What do I need to do for this, exactly? I'll have to
get the source, ofcourse, but next to that ?

I know allready before the compiling many hardware
issues are going to asked.

I tried compiling the kernel once before, but I gave
up then as I had the feeling I new much too little to
answer everything correctly

As I don't know that much on the hardware details, how
can I get a more or less complete list of hardware
features ?

For example, I do know 'uname -a' will get me some
info on the debian kernel version (currently that's
2.2.20)

Could you please tell me some more commands like this
one which will give more info about other issues, like
mouse, keyboard, etc - the more the better I imagine,
as the prog will ask loads of things

Thanks for any help,

Joris Huizer