Re: network

On 01 Apr 2003 16:57:01 -0700
Glenn English <ghe@slsware.com> wrote:

> I'm afraid I've bent my networking, and I can't figure out how to fix
> it. It used to work.
>
> Sarge, Dell Latitude, 512 MB RAM, PCMCIA Orinoco wireless.

In /etc/network/interfaces, if you have "auto eth0" comment it out.

Then restart networking:

/etc/init.d/networking restart

Then try restarting PCMCIA:

/etc/init.d/pcmcia restart

The idea is that pcmcia should bring up eth0.

In a normal startup, networking is run before pcmcia. If you have "auto"
in interfaces, networking will try to bring up and configure eth0. The
problem is that since pcmcia hasn't run, eth0 doesn't yet exist -- the
modules haven't been loaded.

If this doesn't help, come back and we'll try again.

Kevin