Re: How fast should chrony close the time gap?

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 07:24:49AM +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:

> On Monday 31 Mar 2003 12:32 am, John Hasler wrote:
> > Eric G. Miller writes:
> > > To set the time explicitly, see the settime command of chronyc (info
> > > chrony).
> >
> > Setting the time with date as the OP did has the same effect.
>
> But after doing that, should chronyd bring the time as seen by date in
> synchonism with the server?  Even after leaving it all night, the two
> machines are exactly 40 secs apart.
>
> Is there some parameters that I can look at (perhaps with chronyc) which would
> tell me why the times are not getting closer together?

     Sounds like you are just experiencing skew.  I do not use chrony
     but I expect it has a parameter that will not skew and just set
     the time.

     I have a server right now which is over 200 seconds off.  I don't
     know how that happened.  It is righting itself at the rate of 2 sec/hour.

     skew keep cron jobs from getting skipped if the time goes right
     past them.

     You may want to look at /etc/adjtime.

     Then again, you may not.