Re: [~OT] tax program for linux

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 10:58:11PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 03:07:58PM -0800, Eric G. Miller wrote:
> > I vaguely recall there was an Executive Order under Bush I making it
> > policy for federal agencies to not compete with private companies.
> > Although, I can't find a reference at the moment...
>
> I can't believe that would apply, since that would effectively abolish
> the postal service (competes with FedEx, UPS, AirEx...), FEMA
> (competes with pretty much any homeowners/renters insurance company)
> and Amtrak (competes with most shortline railroads especially along
> the east coast...they built Acela on the Northeast Corridor to gain a
> competative edge even) right out.

An Executive Order has no force of law.  All the examples you cited have
enabling statute.  Also, there may be "overriding public policy
considerations" in such decisions.

Anyway, I said I had a vague recollection...  However see also OMB
Circular A-76 http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/circulars/a076/a076.html
(note the Background and Policy sections -- they're short).

--
echo ">gra.fcw@2ztr< eryyvZ .T pveR" | rot13 | reverse