Removable Media: What is the practical answer??

I am currently running several desktop machines running Debian Woody,
including various updates (KDE 3.1.1, etc.) for added usability.

Generally, Debian is great. For my personal usage, I can't see any
reason for using anything else as a desktop machine.

However, I would like to set up a Debian machine for a non-technical
friend (lets call her "Mom"). For the most part, I see no problem in
giving a Debian box to someone who knows (and cares) nothing about the
techincal side of
things. The great thing about Linux is that (for the most part) it just
"works". However, I know I will have trouble convincing her when it comes
to removeable media.

For example, "Mom" has been using a computer for a long time and has boxes
and boxes of floppies. And she needs to find that letter to Aunt Edith
written on the 286 in 1991, and she is sure it is on a floppy in one of
these boxes...

In Windows, this is a matter of pop the disk in, View, Refresh, pop it
out, repeat, until you find the disk you are looking for. In linux... I
have never been able to figure out how best to do this.

What would be the best way to achieve the same functionality in linux??
Automount?? If so, using what configuration?? I have tried different
configurations, timeouts, etc. but there always seems to be something
wrong (the "view" doesn't refresh properly, the CD won't eject, etc.,
etc.)

Supermount?? Does it work yet?

Regular Mount/Unmount? Probably.

B.