Re: Help with DRM / DRI on Matrox G400

Mark Zimmerman declaimed:
> On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 12:08:56PM -0800, Slava ZHdanobvich wrote:
> > On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 19:23:03 -0800
> > Paul Mackinney <pmackinney@speakeasy.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I've got a Matrox Millenium G400, and recently installed a DVDROM drive.
> > > Unfortunately, Xine drops too many frames to really watch anything
> > > (mpeg & avi files play fine).
> > >
> > > I've been trying to tweak my video performance, and notice the following
> > > errors in my X log:
> ...snip...
> > > [drm] failed to load kernel module "mga"
> > > (II) MGA(1): [drm] drmOpen failed
> > > (EE) MGA(1): [drm] DRIScreenInit failed.  Disabling DRI.
> > >

> It looks like you do not have the necessary kernel module(s). You need
> these:
>
> CONFIG_AGP=m
> CONFIG_DRM_NEW=y
> CONFIG_DRM_MGA=m
>
> If you use xconfig, they are near the bottom of 'Character devices'
>
> -- Mark

Good thought, but I'm running the stock kernel package for k6, the
config file shows these enabled. I'm wondering about the lines from the
XFree.0.log that read:

drmOpenDevice: minor is 0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
drmOpenDevice: minor is 0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
[drm] failed to load kernel module "mga"

I don't have a device /dev/dri/card0. Am I supposed to be running devfs?
Kernel config shows

$ grep DEVFS config-2.4.20-k6
CONFIG_DEVFS_FS=y
# CONFIG_DEVFS_MOUNT is not set
# CONFIG_DEVFS_DEBUG is not set

TIA, PM

PS: I tried some of the other suggestions for XF86Config, but no luck.
--
Paul Mackinney
paul@mackinney.net