Re: Adjust time by ntp

    "Willem-Jan" == Willem-Jan Meijer <meyer3@chello.nl> writes:

    Willem-Jan> Hello all, I read something about NTP and I like that,
    Willem-Jan> so I installed the ntp packages, and I want to adjust
    Willem-Jan> the time with the command ntptimeset -s, but I get the
    Willem-Jan> message:

    Willem-Jan> 30 Mar 20:13:10 ntptimeset[11095]: the NTP socket is
    Willem-Jan> in use, exiting

    Willem-Jan> When I only do ntptimeset it gets the correct time,
    Willem-Jan> but it doesn't adjust it

    Willem-Jan> What to do?

I've never used ntptimeset before. Typically I have ntpd running (from
the ntp-simple package) and I use ntpdate if I want to set the time by
hand. To use ntpdate you need to know the name of your time
server. Use 'ntpdate -q my.time.server' to query, and 'ntpdate
my.time.server' to set. Run ntpd and it will do this for you
continuously.

Here are the packages I use on my Woody box:

~$ dpkg -l '*ntp*' | grep ^i
ii  ntp            4.1.0-8        Daemon and utilities for full NTP v4 timekee
ii  ntp-doc        4.1.0-8        HTML documentation for the ntp and ntpdate p
ii  ntp-simple     4.1.0-8        NTP v4 daemon for simple systems.
ii  ntpdate        4.1.0-8        The ntpdate client for setting system time f

Cheers!
Shyamal