Re: What's the std print config tool

    "Lindsay" == Lindsay Yardley <lindsay@ebuild.net.au> writes:

    Lindsay> G'day Bob, Patrick, others, Thank you for your reply but
    Lindsay> cups seems rather bloated and fickle,I wanted the one
    Lindsay> installed by the default debian tasksel option is that
    Lindsay> lpr, lprng or gnulpr? or is one of these or another
    Lindsay> rather nice & compact and sufficient?  tia Lindsay

A standard woody install will give you 'lpr' as the default print
system. This is the BSD print system (with lpr, lpc, lpd and
friends). There is no easy way to configure this print system by
itself as far as I remember, but since I've quit using it I can't know
for sure.

I typically used to install apsfilter with lpr. The apsfilter
installation/setup script was pretty good at creating the correct
/etc/printcap file. It would some times take a little hand editing of
/etc/printcap when I was done.  For remote printing I had to read the
documents and edit files by hand. /etc/hosts.lpd is a file I remember,
and I had to put names in there, not IP addresses.....

I've been doing this for over 8 years nowm first with Slackware and
more recently with Debian. I have to say CUPS may be bloated, but lpr
is much more fickle IMHO ;-) Perhaps gnulpr is better, but I've never
used it.

Cheers!
Shyamal