Re: What's the std print config tool

I am going to put your messages in chronological order.

> What is the standard printer configuration tool used by debian 3
> r0. I'm trying to install a printer but the documentation is not
> helping me at all. If I could find the config tool name that'd be a
> start, perhaps then the Printing HowTo will make more sense.

It depends entirely upon which printer spooler software you are using.
There are only probably six different flavors available.  I am using
the old BSD style print spooler lpr so my knowledge of other types is
limited.

However most people are recommending cupsys as the best server for
standalone systems for new folks.  That is probably the best place for
you to start.

  apt-cache show cupsys
  apt-get install cupsys

After installation I believe the printer daemon is listening on a the
localhost port 631.  Point your web browser to the that address.  Then
follow the online configuration.

  http://127.0.0.1:631

There is also a lot of documentation under /usr/share/doc/ for the
given package name, /usr/share/doc/cupsys/* in this case.

Lindsay Yardley wrote:
> Is it lpr, lprng or gnulpr? also how can I determine what packages are
> already installed, apart from trying each one.

cupsys, lpr, lprng all are quite popular.

Okay, I have exhausted my knowledge here.

Bob