multiple lines in the prompt

How come Eterm sometimes writes over itself in a two line command (at the
prompt) but sometimes it correctly creates a new line? It seems to happen
after I've been in vim/mutt. Is there something I can explicitly set so
that it always know to write the second line on a new line?

I tried this, but it doesn't correctly wrap the lines (although it does
color the directory names so I know it's at least loading)
http://sunsite.ui.ac.id/pub/linux/docs/HOWTO/Bash-Prompt-HOWTO.html#ss12.6

I've been looking through the Unix Powertools book, but I haven't found
anything...

I'm not sure if it's relevant or not, but I use fluxbox as my windows
manager.

thanks!

emma :)

--