Re: How long is linux going to be free ?

Colin Watson writes:
> Software can be placed into the public domain by deliberate action of the
> (former) copyright holder.

The public domain is mentioned in US copyright law only in the context of
expiration and there is no evidence of which I am aware that Congress ever
considered the possibility of an author wanting to place his work in the
public domain.  I suspect that they assumed that no one would want to do
such a thing with anything of enough value to litigate over.

Also, look at <http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap3.html#304>.  While
this does not appear to apply to recent copyrights, it is clear that
Congress considers itself to have the power to nullify grants.  "I hereby
place this work in the public domain" could be interpreted as a grant of
all rights to the public.

While "I hereby place this work in the public domain" undoubtedly has the
same short-term practical effect as would expiration of the copyright, I
don't think it is clear that the subject work would have exactly the same
legal status as it would had the copyright expired.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)