Re: Mozilla 1.3 and Java plugin

gaumer <gaumerel@titan.ecs.fullerton.edu> writes:
> On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 10:28, Pedro I. Sanchez wrote:
> > I can't get Mozilla 1.3 to recognize the java plugin that I install in
> > my PC. I'm running Sid, and I've tried the Blackdown Java and Sun's Java
> > run times, both 1.4.1.
> >
> > With both Java implementations, after doing the install, I go to
> > /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and do a soft link to the libjavaplugin_oji.so
> > file that comes with the Java distribution. I verified that all the
> > libraries are present by running the ldd command against this .so file
> > and everything looks OK.
> >
> > However, when I relaunch Mozilla I don't get any java plugin listed in
> > the "about:plugins" page. I however see all other plugins that live in
> > the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory.
> >
> Suns version of Java does not work on Mozilla builds that used GCC > 3.
>
> http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/whichjava.html
> http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux.html#Java
>
> Get the correct version and all will be fine.
[note: top-posting whacked]

I had a similar problem with the Moz 1.2 I'm using on my
unstable/testing system. The solution that was suggested to me here my
a kind user was to get the 1.4 jdk compiled with gcc 3.2 and then I
just copied over the java plugin. You can find the a Java 1.4
distribution, compiled with gcc 3.2, at

ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown/JDK-1.4.1/i386/01/

get the file j2re-1.4.1-01-linux-i586-gcc3.2.bin. Run it (it's a
self-extracting shell-script) and then go into

j2re1.4.1/plugin/i386/mozilla

and copy javaplugin_oji.so to your mozilla plugin directory.

Again, this is for Moz 1.2, not sure if it'll work with 1.3.

Gary