Re: OT: any GPS tracking software for pc available to track cell phone

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 05:48:03AM -0500, Jason M. Harvey wrote:
> hi!
>
> i know this is a little off-topic, but i've googled with no results
> (other than PDA's). I now have a cell phone with GPS enabled, but i
> cannot find any use for it other than police tracking you in an
> emergency!
>
> has anyone ever heard of any pc software that will somehow track the
> position of a GPS enabled cellular phone?
>
> even any web sites or mailing lists would be appreciated.
>
> tia,
> jason

I think I see something of a misaprehension concerning GPS.
GPS allows you the holder of the GPS receiver to know where you
are relative to the system of coordinates based on latitude, longitude,
and elevation above sea level. It does not transmit. Your cell phone
may have software that automatically sends such info to the police,
but I doubt that DHS (Dept. of Homeland Security) has funded local
police to handle such phone calls.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@quiknet.com