Sid + Radeon 7000

I ditched Debian and Linux in general on my main machine until I
replaced my voodoo 5 with a different card because of the hassle to get
it working, luckily I recently got a radeon 7000 (64meg DDR) given to me
and did a fresh debian net install. I'm running Sid and alas openGL apps
fail to function , they load but no graphics are displayed , for example
the GLXGears window just remains black even tho it is reporting the FPS.
After looking around others seem to have blamed it on the newer
versions/builds of xlibmesa , my question is does anyone know a way to
fix it or when packages will be updated to cure the problem ?

Cheers,

Daniel Palmer