Re: Limit a process's CPU usage?

On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 12:26, Joerg Johannes wrote:
> Hi List
>
> I'm running seti@home on my laptop, but the near 100% CPU usage results in my
> processor fan constatly being on. Is there a way on telling seti@home to use
> the CPU at no more than, say 30%?
> I have already set it to nice 19, but this affects only the priority, so that
> an other process can take over the CPU more easily, this does not reduce CPU
> load.

Best solution... stop running setiathome... it's a waste of battery
power

Possible solution... run a process that keeps the cpu occupied with
doing nothing... and give that a low, but higher then seti, priority...

Or: Suspend the seti process every 10 seconds... turning it on 15
seconds later... (shellscript should be possible)

--
Mark Janssen <maniac@maniac.nl>
Saiko Internet Technologies