Re: Convincing someone to switch to Linux

Just out of curiosity, what are the specs of the new machine,
and what are they proposing to do with it?  I cannot understand
why they did not buy 2-3 machines instead of one expensive one.
Is there some explanation other than blind stupidity?

The machine specs are below.  The real kick in the pants is this:

This morning I was checking out the machine and saw that XP Pro and Office XP were installed (not XP Home and WordPerfect like it shipped with).

So I asked the guy who was responsible for the purchase, why they would buy the machine with XP Home and then buy a seperate copy of XP Pro (I acutally thought he had pirated it, but didn't want to say that right off). He told me that he didn't need to buy it becuase he used the University site license.

They told me originally that were purchasing the Dell and not going with my Linux solution becuase they wanted to maintain a M$ environment. I was not aware that our club is allowed access to the University's site license, otherwise I would have suggested that they buy four beige boxes and a printer from the local Walmart and save the $100 shipping charge.

I would have loved to see them adopt Linux, but this goes beyond that. It was a complete and gross wast of funds that the club doesn't have. Oh well ...

-Roberto Sanchez

Dimension 2350 Series
Dimension 2350, Intel® Celeron® Processor at 1.80GHz
Qty: 1
Price: $1,007.00