Re: remount md0 after disc failure

Lindsay Yardley wrote:
> I have or will have in a few minutes (I hope):
> hda1:	/boot
> hda2:	/
> hda3:	swap
> md0:	/home
>
> My question is: If hda fails and I replace it, reinstall debian then umount
> /home from / then mount /home on md0 the system will be restored and I'll
> have access to my old /home directory, right/wrong?

Uh, that did not quite parse.  Let me throw statements into the
darkness.

hda does not looked mirrored.  md0 looks mirrored, possibly from hdc
and hdd or some such.  If you lose the hda disk then you will have to
recover it by backup or reinstall or whatever.

/home being on md0, assuming you mean a mirrored filesystem.  If a
disk fails there then the system will keep running.  Using a tool like
mdadm it can notify you by mail that a disk has failed and you can
back fill the bad drive later.

Assuming that you recreate a system on hda and reattach your secondary
filesystem md0 onto it after a restoration then yes you would have
your /home back onto your system again.

Bob