Re: New "Creating Custom Kernels" newbiedoc

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 15:38:55 -0500, kjmck@bellatlantic.net
<kjmck@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

> A new version of "Creating Custom Kernels With Debian's Kernel-Package System"
> is available at:
>
> http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html
>
> I'm interested in feedback, especially about mistakes or useability issues.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Kevin

Nice job. A couple of quick comments.

1) The pcmcia option merits special mention, since by default it is
turned on (at least for the kernels I have used) and you explictly
need to turn it off if you aren't using it, otherwise the compilation
will halt before it begins. You could give directions on how to turn
it off.

2) By the way, isn't it better to do the kernel image and the third
party modules separately? Usually I do a

fakeroot make-kpkg modules-clean

before

fakeroot make-kpkg modules-image

which is what the kernel-package README recommends.

3) You could mention the --added_modules option in 8.3 for use with
modules-image or modules-clean. It is in the man page, but I didn't
notice its existence for quite some time.

                                                    Faheem.