Re: Is my hard drive dying?

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 22:16:28 -0000
"Andrew Pritchard" <andrew@teppic.co.uk> wrote:

> I've been looking through the logcheck on one of my machines, and I've seen
> a lot of these types of messages:
>
> Mar 24 17:14:51 orion kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady
> SeekComplete Error }
> Mar 24 17:14:51 orion kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 {
> UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=3994439, sector=63232
> Mar 24 17:14:51 orion kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:01 (hda),
> sector 63232
>
> Does this mean my drive is dying? I've not had any problems with the machine
> till now.

I had these exact same error messages, starting about two weeks ago. I assumed the hard drive was dying, but it turned out to be a bad motherboard. Actually, I wish it had been the drive - hard drives are cheaper (and easier) to replace than motherboards.

If possible, try to test the drive in another computer before tossing it out. But like others have said, back up your data IMMEDIATELY.