RE: [OT, FLAME] Linux Sucks

> > Basically, if someone doesn't know how many keys ones keyboard has,
> > _and_ he doesn't know how to count them, then I doubt he should be
> > using a computer at all.
>
> Devil's advocate:
>
> A new user may not know whether to count every single key.
> For example, shift doesn't do anything at all by itself,
> right?  What about my Happy Hacking Lite's "Fn" key that's
> used to build the F1-F10 keys, Home, End, etc.  Does it
> count?  Do those keys that don't physically exist, but are
> generated when you're holding down "Fn" count?
>
> Frankly, *I* have to look up my keyboard specs when I install
> X (which happens, maybe, once every 1.5 years or so), because
> the answer isn't nearly as straightforward as just counting
> the physical buttons.
> --

Fair comment.
And for keyboards with 'internet' 'mail' 'search' buttons ?  are they
counted as keys.

Using n-key keyboard types is lazy, why not have a database of keyboard
model numbers to choose from.

Matt

Children's Cancer Institute Australia is the only independent medical
research institute in Australia solely devoted to research into the causes,
prevention and cure of childhood cancer. Our vision is to save the lives of
all children with cancer and eliminate their suffering.
http://www.ccia.org.au