Re: no audio cds

Am Die, 2003-03-25 um 12.59 schrieb Joe Paxton:
> Hello:
>
> Running Debian Woody on a Dell Inspiron 2650c, I am able to read data
> cds (the installation cd, for example), but I am unable to read (play)
> audio cds. I am not trying to mount the audio cd (I realize that this is
> not needed)

Correct.

> , but rather, when I put an audio cd in the drive, and do 'cd
> /cdrom' and then 'ls' I see nothing in the drive (and so when I try to
> add that directory to the XMMS playlist, for example, nothing is added).

Since you can't mount an audio CD you wont see anything in /cdrom since
/cdrom is just a simple directory.

Try adding the device file to your xmms playlist (ie /dev/hdc or
whatever your cdrom is). This will allow xmms raw access to the cdrom
if permissions permit it.

HTH
--

Matthias Hentges
Cologne / Germany

[www.hentges.net] -> PGP welcome, HTML tolerated
ICQ: 97 26 97 4   -> No files, no URL's

My OS: Debian Woody: Geek by Nature, Linux by Choice