Re: PCI ATA card support - fun stuff

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Pigeon wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 03:08:15PM +1100, Lindsay Yardley wrote:
> > G'day Alvin/All,
> >  | - why do you want raid???
> > I'm setting up a file/print server.

does NOT justify raid ...

but if you mean its a home server or mail server or webserver,
you can use multimount solaris style NFS
( linux has a way to go )

otherwise, an offline redundant live backup works good to if yu
cn handle a couple minutes downtime

> > hda1 - /boot
> > hda2 - /

i'd make "/"  a root-raid device....

and i'd scrap /boot, ... those are olden dayz when the kernel
could read above 1024 to boot strap itself up...
( just be sure /  is under 1024 cyl ...as opposed tothe whole disk )

> > hda3 - swap
> > hde/g raid set - /var

no point in making /var a raid device...

> > hde/g raid set - /home

good idea to make user data raid if you need a live 2nd copy

but if / dies... you're dead ... therefore no value from /home as raid

good thing about keeping the system as a standalone/regular linux install
and "user data" as raid...
	- you can always build a new linux intall in 5 minutes ... :-)
	but you cant do that w/ user data that can be 10TB of data

> You seem to have the hardware working, so the hard part is over.

my real raid test..  ( if you're usng /dev/hda and /dev/hdc )

	- unplug /dev/hda
	- see if it boots and works properly in degraded mode
	- restore it .. let it resync

	- unplug /dev/hdc
	- see if it boots and works properly in degraded mode
	- restore it .. let it resync

	- write a 4GB sized files.. several times ... compare each one
	individually to the master copy

	- replace /dev/hda with a brand new disk !!
	and it should all magically work

-- if everything is done right ...  you do NOT need to touch the keyboard
   to get it booting/running... it should all work by itself

c ya
alvin