Re: [OT] user psychology

On Sun, 2003-03-23 at 11:38, ktb wrote:
> I've been searching around the web for some documentation on how to deal
> with users from the perspective of a systems administrator.  I'm finding
> a lot on account management and user policies but not much by way of
> dealing with people.  I'm interested in educating myself about the different
> approaches sys admins take and the success or failure of these approaches.
>
> As you can guess I've recently inherited a network.  I'm having no
> problems with the technical side of administering the network but am
> finding myself increasingly taking more of a hard-line with regards to
> users and I would like to decide where I want to draw the lines.
> Thanks,
> kent
>
> --
> To know the truth is to distort the Universe.
>                       Alfred N. Whitehead (adaptation)

Users are "statistical inputs" to contribute to the development of
justifications for spending on newer and more intriguing equipment. They
should each be surreptitiously running SETI@Home in order to ensure that
the apparent system requirements are overwhelming the current CPU while
under the severest of security restrictions in order to foster your
position that the current technology just can no longer meet the needs
of a modern and growing company. ;)
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org