Re: X (fails to start)

On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 06:27:12PM +0100, Sebastian 'Frank?' Wieseler wrote:

> Now, I have installed Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r1 "Woody" as well.
> But every time I start up, my X-Server doesn't start up. :-/
>
> This is my /etc/X11/XF86-Config-4:

-<SNIP>-
> Section "Device"
>    Identifier    "Graphics nVidia"
>    Driver        "nv"
>    Option        "UseFBDev"        "true"
> EndSection
-<SNIP>-

I got similar errors on Woody, using a Riva TNT2 ultra... with the nv
driver.  I changed "UseFBDev" to "false" and it worked.  Not sure why  ;-)
Now, I'm sure there's a "right way" of putting that option outside of the
Debconf section...
If you simply change it "in situ", then your change will get undone next
time debconf (dexconf?) gets run...  But I have to admit I did that anyway,
and I just refrain from running dexconf.

> But also when I want to start the X-Server manually with
> $ startx
>
> the /var/log - File says:
-<Big SNIP>-
> (II) UnloadModule: "nv"
> (II) UnloadModule: "fbdevhw"
> (II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/linux/libfbdevhw.a
> (II) UnloadModule: "vgahw"
> (II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
> (II) UnloadModule: "int10"
> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found
-<SNIP again>-

Yeah, that looks a *lot* like what I was seeing.
And there was always a black screen that flickered 2 or 3 times as it
*tried* to start...
Hope that helps.