DHCP to ISP (ntl cable settop)

Hi, im trying to connect to ntl via the cable settop box/modem
thingy with my Debian machine. Ive managed to install two 3-COM
etherlink III cards on differing ioports and interrupts.

Ive tried pump, but some googling revealed that pump dosnt work
with machines of many NICs.

I tried to 'apt-get install dhcpcd' but that gave the error:
Package dhcpcd has no available version, but exists in the database.
E: Package dhcpcd has no installation candidate.

Some more googling put me onto 'dhclient', which i tried also, but
was still unable to establish a connection, or a gateway route.

Has anyone actually achieved DHCP using Debian? If so, how?

I'd appreciate any advice, as im quite new to debian, and have
enjoyed using it so far. Thanks.

~tc