soundproblem KDE 3.1

People.

What am I missing here?

System is an IBM 300 PL (PII 300MHz), with CS4232 soundchip on board. kernel 2.4.18, Debian.
Sound was working with KDE2. I upgraded to KDE3.1.

I was not able to upgrade earlier because I forgot to install kmix as appeared 2 days ago. So I did and the system went upgrading to KDE3.1 (at last solved that problem!). Looks nice BTW.

Bad news, sound has gone.
I didn't change the kernel during this upgrade. Modules compiled in on this moment:
Module    Size   Used by    Not tainted
cs4232 3520 0 uart401 6080 0 [cs4232]
ad1848   20736   0         [cs4232]
sound      52172   0         [cs4232 uart401 ad1848]

In KDE3.1 I don't hear anything, not in autodetect, /dev/dsp nor /dev/audio.
I installed wavtools: wavp plays *.wav from cli (prompt) perfectly (only very soft)
cat plays *.au sounds on /dev/sound and /dev/dsp

In /etc/modules.conf in find nothing in it for sound/snd/ALSA/OSS or whatever. Is that OK?

What do I do from here? any clues? Help?

TIA.
Frank