Re: Problems with Apt-Get

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 06:01:13PM -0600, Joseph A Nagy Jr wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> >On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 04:39:51PM -0600, Joseph A Nagy Jr wrote:
> <snip>
> >>Perhaps one day they'll improve upon FTP.
> >
> >HTTP improved upon FTP long ago. The fact that the name hasn't been
> >changed doesn't affect this.
> >
> >(I do this for a living.)
> >
> >Cheers,
>
> Then what purpose does the continued use of FTP serve?

As far as I can tell, the continued use of FTP provides a convenient
way to get root on poorly administered servers.  Sadly, there seem to
be a lot of those.

FTP also serves as a major PITA for people trying to set up firewalls;
either you have to load a module to do some magic, or you need to
force users to use passive mode (and forcing users to do anything
unexpected is doomed to failure).

Personally, I will not run an FTP server.  I've done my best to expund
this philosophy at my workplaces as well :-)

As Colin points out, HTTP is simply a better protocol for transferring
files of any type, especially since HTTP 1.1 came into use.  There is
a reason apt prefers HTTP.

  This disclaimer is priviledged information and may not be read by
  anyone except the intended recipient, whoever that is.  If you are
  not the intended recipient and have read this disclaimer, you are
  naughty and shan't be allowed any pudding.  How can you have any
  pudding if you don't take your meat?