Re: tune gcc

Of course, if you find some convincing evidence that using processor
specific optimisations does get a large gain, post them here!  It'll at
least quell the stupid 'Debian needs a separate archive for every CPU
model in existence!!!1' one or the other.  Well, we can dream :)

Well there is some stuff that is mildly interesting on http://www.suse.de/~aj/SPEC/
But thats on benchmarking - real live app's are a different ballgame.
My gentoo system isn't any faster from the feeling I have than my debian system - with the vanilla kernel sources. The kernel with Con Koliva's patches does work much better with the system under heavy load but that really doesn't have anything to do with gcc.

Klaus