Re: Detecting "default browser"?

Ralf Treinen wrote:
Salut Xavier,

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 08:04:10AM +0100, Xavier Roche wrote:

Is there a clean way to detect the default (installed) browser on Debian?
The idea would be to avoid if possible scripts like:

for i in mozilla galeon konqueror ..; do if test -x "/usr/bin/$i"; then /usr/bin/$i $@
   exit $?
 fi
done

Alternatives are made for that. /usr/sbin/www-browser points, through
a chain of symlinks, to some browser. See update-alternatives(8)

Cheers -Ralf.

pretzalz@Pretzalz:~$ /usr/sbin/update-alternatives --display www-browser
www-browser - status is auto.
 link currently points to /usr/bin/lynx
/usr/bin/lynx - priority 50
 slave www-browser.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/lynx.1.gz
Current `best' version is /usr/bin/lynx.

Considering I have both mozilla and konqueror installed, I think that www-browser always points to lynx[or at least a console browser]