Re: CUPS printing (newbie)

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 10:01:17AM -0500, Subba Rao wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a newbie to CUPS printing system.  I have installed it on my Debian 3.0
> (woody) system. Now I can print test pages thru the Browser.
>
> How do I print from KWord, OpenOffice Writer and even from command line?

from the command line, 'lp' and 'lpr' should both send print ocmmands
to CUPS.  If you have more than one printer, use
lpr -P printername filename
(I think)

For OpenOffice, run the 'spadmin' script which is to be found in the
install directory.  This opens up a dialog box in which you cna
configure and add printers.  It's pretty straightforward, assuming lp
and lpr are working: you just add the commands you find
work for you from the ocmmand line.

For KWord, I think you use the KPrinter dialog in the KDE Control
Center (I run 3.1, and in that version you find it under
Peripherals/Printers).  However, i don't use many kfde-specific
features, and I don't remember that bit very well.

g'luck,
matt