Re: Apt: Searching for "Provides: ..."

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 08:46:31AM +0100, Thomas Guettler wrote:
> I want to search for all packages which provide xserver.
>   apt-cache search 'Provides.*xserver.*'
> This should find xserver-s3, but it doesn't.
> Any hints?

From man apt-cache:
  search performs a full text search on all available package  files
  for  the regex pattern given. It searchs the package names and the
  descriptions for an occurance of the string and  prints  out  the
  package  name  and  the short description.

apt-cache doesn't search the full control file, only name and
description.

Quick hack:
$ apt-cache pkgnames | xargs apt-cache show | grep -B 10 \
'Provides.*xserver' | grep Package

HTH,
Nick

--
Nicolas Kratz                           |   GPG-key: 1D6D075A
<nick@ikarus.dyndns.org>                |   Never touch a running sysop,