Re: Root login

Hi Johan,

--On Wednesday, March 19, 2003 03:18:58 PM +0200 Johan van der Walt <johan@fskdjvdw.puk.ac.za> wrote:
I just now installed Woody and did a simple installation using only
tasksel. So Gnome is the display manager. However, it does not allow me
to login as  root. I need to install OpenOffice and to do that I have to
login as root but not from the console.

How can I get past this problem?

You probably have to edit /etc/gdm/gdm.conf and set 'AllowRoot' to 'true'.

After modifying the file do not forget to restart gdm. A logout from the X session should do this, or in case it doesnt help, just press ctrl+alt+del.

Hope that helps, Harry