Re: Reading the mutt manual.txt.gz without the escapes...

Colin Watson wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > I think mutt justs uses iso8859 charset and you are not using it.
> > Therefore there is a character set mismatch.  It is really hard to
> > call it a bug to use an iso8859 character set.
>
> No, this is not a character set issue, it's the fact that the mutt
> manual includes SGR (ANSI) escapes. See my message of a couple of
> minutes ago for more details.

Hmm...  I don't see any escapes in the manual.

  dpkg -S /usr/share/doc/mutt/manual.txt.gz
  mutt: /usr/share/doc/mutt/manual.txt.gz
  dpkg -l mutt
  ii  mutt           1.3.28-2     Text-based mailreader supporting MIME, GPG,

  zcat < /usr/share/doc/mutt/manual.txt.gz | od -tx1 | grep -i 1b
  [...nothing...]

But I *do* see reverse video highlighting of the bullet characters.
The first I see are at section "1.2.  Mailing Lists" where character
183 decimal is being used as a list bullet.  Those show up as a
reverse video '<B7>' (hex value) unless I use an iso8859 charset, in
which case they show up as a dot.

But I am running woody and you are probably running sid.  I am
guessing that the manual was reformatted and in the newer version the
escape sequences have been added as you have been noting.

Bob